Perkedel ( a delicious potato cake with chickpeas and curry leaves ) Perfect for Vegetarian
We Irish love our potatoes , Right ? This Indonesian style Potato cake has some lovely textures to it , which come from finely diced vegetables, lightly sautée and a crisp coating of Panko , toasted sesame seeds and Parmesan . The Curry leaves are wonderfully aromatic . I hope you enjoy it as much as I did .
Ingredients: makes 8
- 500 grms of potatoes ( left over potatoes are good as well as far as they are not mushy )
- 175 grms of chickpeas
- 1 med carrot , finely diced & blanched in boiling water, refresh immediately in cold water .
- 2 shallots , finely diced
- 11/2 stick of celery , finely diced
- 5 spring onions , finely sliced
- 3 sprig of curry leaves &11/2 pandang leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 nutmeg kernel , grated
For the Crispy coating:
- Panko ( Japanese crispy bread crumbs )
- 3 tbsp of toasted sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp offinely grated Parmesan
- 4 -5 eggs ( for the egg wash )
- flour for coating
- salt & pepper
Crush thecooked potatoes and Chickpeas with a fork until you have a coarse chunky mash .
In a little oil sweat the shallots , celery , spring onions , curry leaves , pandang leaves and nutmeg for 3 mins until softened and aromatic . Season to taste . Mix to the mash and shape into even sized balls & shape into nice patties .
Coat each cake in flour , shake off the excess , dip in the egg wash and finally in the panko , sesame seeds & Parmesan mixture.
Deep fry at 180 until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper .
Serve with some of your favourite salad leaves ,a spicy relish and a piquant salad dressing . Try Broighter 's Gold infused rapeseed oil range .